When I ask the question “How do you store the business cards of the people of your network?” these are the top 4 answers:
1) I don’t store them
2) I store them in a box or drawer
3) I store them in a binder for business cards
4) I store them electronically (e-mail program, database, spreadsheet, CRM (Customer Relationship Management programma)
I advise you to go for number 4.
These are the reasons:
– You need the contact details of people. The power is in the network, but you have to be able to call or e-mail them.
– You need to have fast access. If you have the business cards of 1000 people in a box, it will take long before you find them. If you store them in a binder, there is only one way you can retrieve the data: if you keep them in alphabetical order on company name and you remember the name of a person, but not the company anymore you won’t find this person.
– You need back up. Your network is your most powerful ànd free aid in life. If you lose the business cards, you lose your most important resource.
By the way, fast access is not only important if you want to contact someone for yourself, but also if you want to connect two other people. This is one of the best networking actions you can take, but if you have to look in boxes to find the business cards you simply won’t do it.
Have a great networking day !