That’s a question I asked myself the first time I heard about it.
But then at closer investigation, it became clear.
When you follow a Company, you can be notified when:
– Employees join, leave or are promoted
– There are new job opportunities
– the Company Profile has been changed
When could this be interesting?
1) If you are in sales or purchasing, you might like to be informed if your contact person changes position or leaves the company. You can then ask to be introduced to the person who gets their previous job so you can continue to easily work together.
2) If you are in sales and it was not possible to do business with a company because of a certain person, you might have a new chance when that person changes position or leaves the organization.
3) If you are looking for a new job, you can be informed when your favorite organizations posts a job.
How to set this up?
1) Go to More…/Companies
2) Look for the company or organization you are interested in
3) On the Company Profile Page you see “Follow company”. Click it.
4) Now you see “Stop following” and a small arrow. Click that arrow and choose “Notification Settings”.
5) Finetune which updates you want (see the 3 options already mentioned in the beginning of this post) and how you want them delivered (via “Network Updates” and/or via daily or weekly email).
For me this new feature is not the Holy Grail, but adds to the collection of handy tools and features LinkedIn already has been offering.
To your success !