To finish my series of tips about listening as the most important networking skill, I would like to share some things to stop doing when listening to people.
- Stop judging.
- Stop talking! It is difficult to listen and speak at the same time.
- Stop thinking you already know what’s going to be said.
- Stop hanging on to your own opinion and your desire to be right.
- Stop focusing on what you are going to say next.
- Stop thinking that listening is the same as not talking.
- Stop thinking that you can’t be a good listener.
I would like to conclude these tips about listening with a quote from Dale Carnegie:
“A professional networker is someone who attentively listens…
to a subject he knows everything about…
told by someone who knows nothing about it”.
To your success !