Let me give you the answer straight away: for marketing and PR reasons!
Nowadays when CEO’s, General Managers and other chief executives and board members are mentioned in the press, many times a link to their LinkedIn Profile is used.
If people click on that link and they see an incomplete, boring Profile they might assume that the organisation they represent is also boring and inattractive.
Next to that many recruiting and lead generation opportunities are missed that way.
A few weeks ago I already shared that it is important for managers to have an attractive LinkedIn Profile for recruiting matters and I also gave some advice about what to do.
What can CEO’s add to that from a marketing or PR point of view? A few quick tips:
1) A SlideShare presentation with tips showing their organisation’s expertise.
2) The books they are reading via the Amazon Reading List (this gives a personal flavour to the Profile).
3) A SlideShare presentation with their personal point of view or strategy (or at least that part that can be shared with the outside world).
4) Box.net files application: share their notes, articles or interviews.
5) A movie clip with tips, insights, an empowering message or interview.
What is important is to not focus too much on saying how great your own organisation is, but sharing stuff that can help other people. Remember that it is about building Know, Like and Trust.
To your success !